DID YOU KNOW?
- 45 million Americans live below the poverty line.
- Poverty means living on less than $11,770 if you are single or $24,250 for a family of four.
- Nearly a quarter of people in poverty have jobs.
- For 1 in 6 people in America, hunger is part of their daily lives.
- 15% of rural households are food-insecure.
- Over 52% of all female-headed household are poor in rural areas.
- Decatur County is the poorest in the state of Iowa. 20% of our residents live in poverty.
Nationally 17 million children live in food-insecure households:
- Children from these homes are more likely to experience irritability, fatigue and difficulty in concentrating.
- Lack of adequate nutrition has a lasting effect on the cognitive and behavior development of children.
- In Lamoni school’s 53% of our students are on the free or reduced lunch program.
We can become overwhelmed with all these statistics or we can see these facts as an opportunity to get involved and help be a part of the solution to hunger in our community. The Lamoni Food Pantry offers the opportunity to join together with our neighbors in fighting hunger in our small town. In doing so we are not just investing in the future of all of our children and neighbors but we are impacting our own future as well!
See our Volunteer Opportunities to make a difference!